Pages

Monday, August 10, 2009

Homemade Play Dough (scented)

Playing and smelling the dough!


1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1 cup water
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons cream of tartar
2 tablespoons glitter (optional)
1 packet unsweetened drink mix (like Kool-Aid)


1. In a medium pot, mix flour, salt, cream of tartar, drink mix, glitter, and oil. Then, add the water.


3. Whisk until well-blended.


4. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until stiff and all sticks onto itself.


5. Turn out onto wax paper to to let cool.


6. Knead until proper consistency.
7. Store in a sealed plastic baggie.


*** Mom's Note: I like using the unflavored fruit drink instead of food coloring but you certainly can use food coloring. the drink mix makes teh dough smell like a flavor which adds an additional element to it's play. Wal-mart has their brand of drink-mix for 10 cents a packet!


*** Mom's Note: I used embossing glitter because not only did I have it on hand, I like it's fine texture which I think makes the play dough look better and feel better than te larger chunky glitter which is more rough. Also, 1 tablespoon is probably enough but I wanted extra sparkles! :)


*** Mom's Note: As soon as you turn out the play dough, put water in the pot. You'll thank me for telling you that! :)

7 comments:

Tara said...

So, regular playdoh is fine but this occupied C & H for over -hours straight! They loved the smell and feel. After 4 solid hours of play, I baggied it up and put it away for tomorrow. :)

ellie said...

wow!!!
Plus, let me just say..i love your kidlets.
too adorable, and i cannot wait to see you all next month! (which sounds so far away...but it really isn't....it's just over 3 weeks away!!)

Sarah (sazzi) said...

So i just made this, minus the sparkles because i hate them! I used grape koolaide and it smelled so good I had to taste it...yeah, bad idea! Anyways, as soon as Quin comes home we are going to play!

Tara said...

This morning I made an orange orange-scented wad and a green watermelon/kiwi-scented wad. I got asked for blue but I dont have a blue smell on hand....

Laura Durante said...

Love it Tara. Good luck. I enjoyed your recipe's and your comments too. xoxo Laura

Shauna said...

One of my parents put in a little nutmeg in the orange play-doh she sent in for my class in October.....mmmmm smelled like pumpkin pies! I'm sure you can add all kinds of scents too....cinnamon, peppermint, vanilla.

Casey said...

Thanks for the water in the pot tip - good advice.

Post a Comment